Asia has always been known for its cultural diversity. Peppered with more than 180 ethnic groups that speak around 300 different dialects, the continent sizzles with exciting sights, sounds, and smells. It is cosmopolitan yet unmarred, modern yet traditional.
Yet even with so much diversity, there is a single common thread running through the soul of Asia. It's food. For an Asian, food is a passion, an obsession, and a way of life. It represents all that makes Asia distinctively different, and provides a window into the continent's past, present and future. Knowing the food allows one a rare and untainted glimpse into Asia's heart and soul. If a plate tells a thousand stories then the Asian Food Channel will tell you those stories.
Asian food at its best
The Asian Food Channel (AFC) is the premier and leading food and lifestyle broadcaster based in the heart of Asia. As the first food TV channel to broadcast pan-regionally in Asia, AFC provides a healthy mix of both Eastern and Western content in a variety of formats all day!
Launched in mid-2005 into multiple territories across the region, AFC offers viewers insights into the world's top tables, top chefs and tantalising cuisines from around the globe.
AFC has rolled out original productions such as the winner of the "Best Variety/Entertainment Award" at Festival Asia TV & Film on Journey 2012, "Great Dinners of the World", "36 Ways to Live" starring renowned Chef Emmanuel Stroobant, Asia's very first regional reality cooking show "E&O Search for AFC's Next Celebrity Chef", as well as a reality cooking show giving life-changing opportunities to underprivileged youths, "The Big Break". Tailoring programmes that appeal to AFC's diverse Asian audience is a top priority and AFC is confident that viewers in the market and across the world will appreciate its original content.
AFC's noteworthy accomplishments include:
- Broadcasting to over 130 million viewers in 12 countries, including: Brunei, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan and Thailand.
- More than 1,250,000 Facebook fans on AFC's official Facebook page.
- AFC is able to produce high quality original content for both sponsors' needs and viewers' interests.
- One-stop channel for world-renowned food personalities including Anna Olson, Chuck Hughes, Daniel Boulud, Jamie Oliver, Kylie Kwong, Laura Calder, Martin Yan, Michael Smith and Nigella Lawson.
- AFC loves to reward viewers through on-air and online contests. A previous contest organized rewarded viewers and media with an all-expense paid trip to visit Martin Yan's Culinary Arts Center in Shenzhen, China.
- AFC has a great working relationship with both acquired and produced on-air talent. Through such relationships, AFC is able to bring in renowned chefs to tour regionally for celebrity chef events. Recent events include, "A Day Off with Chuck Hughes", "A Taste of Finland with Sara La Fountain", "Autumn Treasures with Martin Yan" and most recently "Fresh Flavours with Anna Olson".
The Asian Food Channel is co-founded by Singaporean, Hian Goh and Briton Maria Brown, both of whom have extensive experience in business and media. Hian Goh was a founding member of the Salomon Smith Barney Technology investment banking practice in Asia. He is also a successful entrepreneur founding start-ups in Hong Kong and China. Maria Brown is a 14-year veteran of the BBC working in both London and New York. She has vast experience in international media production, programming, general management and in bringing the broadest range of high quality programming ideas to television.
In 2013, Scripps Network Interactive acquired AFC and included the channel into their wide portfolio of lifestyle brands.
About Scripps Network Interactive
Scripps Networks Interactive is the leading developer of high-profile, lifestyle-oriented content for many media platforms including television, digital, mobile and publishing. Our media portfolio of popular lifestyle brands - HGTV, DIY Network, Food Network, Cooking Channel, Travel Channel and country music network Great American Country (GAC) - connect with viewers to provide relevant ideas, information and solutions every day, everywhere.
Our desire to influence and inspire extends beyond media to include strong community and business relationships. Through our corporate social responsibility and diversity and inclusion efforts, we are committed to making a positive difference with those we come into contact with every day.
Learn more about our evolution from a single newspaper more than 130 years ago to the leader in lifestyle media on our History page.