Steamed Flower Cakes (Kanom Nam Dok Mai)
End your meal with this delicious Thai dessert by Phol Tantasathien.
- 45 minutes
- 13 servings
As seen on At Home With Phol: Thailand
- 100 grams Rice Flour
- 16 grams Arrow Root Starch
- 100 grams Sugar
- 320 millilitres Jasmine Water
- Coconut Topping:
- 250 grams Coconut Cream
- 25 grams Rice Flour
- 4 grams Mung Bean Starch
- 4 grams Salt
- 12 grams Sugar
- Edible flower, for garnish
- Natural coloring (optional):
- Red: Beet root (Make concentrated beet root juice by blending beet root with water and strain with cheese cloth)
- Green: Pandan leaves (Make concentrated pandan juice by, blending pandan leaves with water and strain with cheese cloth)
- Yellow: Turmeric (Make concentrated Turmeric juice by finely grated and strain with cheese cloth)
- Purple: Butterfly pea flower (soak with warm water and strain, add a drop of lime juice to make brighter purple
- Arrange small ramekins in the steamer and put on high heat for 5 minutes.
- While warming the ramekins, make a batter by mixing rice flour, arrow root starch, sugar and jasmine water together.
- Divide into 4 portions and add a drop of different color in each different portion.
- Pour the batter into the ramekins and steam with high heat for 15 minutes. Cool down. Use a small spatula to lift the small cakes out of the ramekins.
- To make the topping, put all ingredients into a pot and stir with a hand whisk. Then put the pot on the stove and cook until the mixture thickens. Set aside to cool down.
- Put the topping mixture into piping bag and use piping nozzle size no. 102. Pipe flower shapes on top of the cakes.
- Garnish with edible flowers and serve.
Share it with your friends.