Hearty Hunters Stew
- 8-10 peeled potatoes
- 2 peeled parsnips
- 2 peeled carrots
- 3 peeled yellow onions
- 3 peeled cloved of garlic
- 1/3 pound (200 g) shiitake mushrooms, or other mushrooms
- 10-12 slices of moose, elk or other venison (preferably from the thigh)
- 1 1/4 cup (3 dl) dark beer
- 1 cube of beef stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 9 juniper berries
- Butter and oil
- Corn starch for thickening
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- Brown the meat in butter and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Slice the potatoes, parsnips, carrots, onions and the garlic and brown the vegetables together with the mushrooms.
- Add the meat. Pour in the beer and cover the rest of the stew with water.
- Add the stock cube and make sure it dissolves completely. Let it simmer for about one hour. The meat should be very tender.
- Mix a couple of tablespoons of corn starch with about as much water. Pour it in and make sure to stir so that you do not get lumps in the stew.
- Garnish with parsley and thyme.
Tags: vegetables , meat