Garlic Steamed Broccoli
A recipe is merely words on paper; a guideline, a starting point from which to improvise. It cannot pretend to replace the practiced hand and telling glance of a watchful cook. For that reason feel free to stir your own ideas into this dish. When you cook it once, it becomes yours, so personalize it a bit. Add more of an ingredient you like or less of something you don't like. Try substituting one ingredient for another. Remember words have no flavour, you have to add your own!
- One head of broccoli
- A splash of olive oil
- A clove or two of thinly sliced garlic
- A splash of water
- A sprinkle or two of salt and pepper
- Cut the broccoli into florets discarding the tough stems. Splash enough water into the bottom of a small saucepot to cover the bottom about 1/4 inch deep.
- Add the oil, garlic and salt them. Begin heating over a medium high heat.
- In a few moments, when the water starts to simmer, add the broccoli and cover the pot with a tight fitting lid.
- Steam until the broccoli is tender and bright green, about five minutes. The water should finish evaporating just as the broccoli finishes cooking.
- Remove the pan from the heat and give it a good shake.
- Serve immediately.