Breakfast Bread Pudding
For French Toast
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch ground cinnamon
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 12 slices day-old French bread
- butter or oil, for greasing griddle
For Bread Pudding
- 3 ripe but firm bananas
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (not low-fat)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- turbinado or white sugar, for sprinkling
- For French toast, whisk eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon & nutmeg together.
- Heat a griddle or non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Dip bread slices into egg mixture and place on greased griddle and cook until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Flip toast over and cook until other side is golden and set aside to cool.
- Cut up French toast into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease an 8-cup baking dish.
- Layer diced French toast with banana slices and sprinklings of raisins.
- Whisk eggs, and egg yolk, then whisk in maple syrup, milk, yogurt and vanilla.
- Pour mixture over diced French toast in dish and press down gently to help egg mixture to soak in, and let sit 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle top with a little sugar and place baking dish in a large pan, with at least 2-inch sides.
- Pour hot water around baking dish and bake strata for 75 to 85 minutes, until center springs back when gently pressed.
- Let strata sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Bread pudding can be served warm, chilled or at room temperature, with a little drizzle of maple syrup and a dollop of yogurt.
Tags: dairy , dessert , fruits