Gambas A La Plancha
- 3 lbs whole, head-on shrimp or prawns
6 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tbsp coarse pickling salt
- Rinse the shrimp and pat dry. Slice the garlic (a mandolin is best) into thin slices and set aside.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat for 3 minutes (to let it get really hot).
- Sprinkle half of the salt onto pan and let heat for a minute more (you will want to turn on your exhaust fan). Sprinkle half of the garlic slices over salt and place half of the shrimp immediately on the garlic.
- Let the shrimp cook on one side, without moving, until pink is visible, about 3 minutes. Turn shrimp over and cook 3 minutes more. Remove shrimp and serve warm. Repeat with remaining shrimp.
- To eat, remove the head and peel the shrimp. As you peel, the toasted garlic and salt will stick to your fingers and season the shrimp as you eat them.