Blood Orange Syrup Cake With Spiced Orange Salad
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp blood orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups ground almonds
- 1 cup fine semolina
- 1/4 cup blood orange juice
- 1 cup blood orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp orange liqueur (optional)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 Tbsp reserved blood orange syrup
For Spiced Orange Salad
- 4 blood oranges
- 2 navel oranges
- 4 kiwis
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp orange liqueur
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 6-inch cake pan and line bottom with parchment.
- Beat butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition.
- Stir in orange zest.
- In a separate bowl, combine ground almonds and semolina.
- Add almond mixture alternately with orange juice until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Scrape into prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- bring orange juice and sugar up to a simmer.
- Simmer syrup for about 10 minutes, until it reduces a little and thickens slightly.
- Pull off the heat and allow to cool a little.
- Stir in orange liqueur.
- When cake comes out of the oven, let cool for 15 minutes.
- Pour half of the syrup over the cake while still in its pan.
- Let sit 5 minutes.
- Turn cake out onto a plate and brush remaining syrup over, reserving 3 Tbsp of syrup for chantilly.
- Let cool before slicing.
- whip cream to soft peaks and fold in reserve blood orange syrup.
For spiced orange salad,
- cut away orange skins with a serrated knife and section.
- Peel kiwis and slice cross-wise and slice in half again.
- Stir together honey, liqueur and spices.
- Toss with orange and kiwi sections.
- If salad sits for more than 4 hours, you can strain of juices and reduce by half over medium-low heat and add back to concentrate the flavours.
- To serve, slice cake into wedges, dollop cream on the side and spoon salad onto plate.