Sanjuana's Pozole(Rich Corn & Pork Soup)
For the Pozole
- 1 – 2 lbs (1 kg) pork shoulder
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 l (8 cups) stock or water
- 750 ml (3 cups) dried whole yellow hominy
- 6 dried ancho or guajillo chiles
- Salt and pepper
- Cabbage or iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Onions, finely sliced
- In a large pot, add the pork, onion, garlic and stock or water. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours, or until the meat falls off the bone.
- Remove the pot from heat. Take the pork from the pot and set aside to cool. When cool enough to handle, remove the meat from its bones and shred it with your hands.
- Strain the stock if desired and put back in the pot. Add the shredded meat.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, cook the hominy in salted boiling water for about 1 hour or until very tender. Strain and add to the posole.
- In a bowl, rehydrate the chiles with a ladle of the hot braising liquid for 30 minutes until soft. Puree in a blender and add to the posole.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with little bowls of your choice of garnishes.
Tags: meat , fruits