For the Gravlax
- 2 - 2 pounds (1 kg) extremely fresh salmon fillet (sushi grade), skin on
- 1 large-size bunch dill, roughly chopped
- 500 ml (2 cups) coarse salt
- 500 ml (2 cups) brown sugar
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) Vodka
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) crushed Szechuan peppercorns
For the mustard sauce
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) Dijon mustard
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) brown sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
- A bunch of dill, chopped
- Freshly grated horseradish, to taste
- For the Gravlax, crush the dill with coarse salt and add the brown sugar.
- Season the salmon fillets with crushed Szechuan peppercorns.
- Cover with the dill mixture and splash with Vodka. Sandwich the fillets together, tail-to-tail, and cover with plastic wrap.
- Cover the salmon with another plate and something that weighs about a pound. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- After that time, the flesh will have lost its translucence. Rinse under cold water and path dry.
- For the sauce, combine the mustard, brown sugar and lemon juice.
- Slowly whisk in the olive oil and stir in the chopped dill and grated horseradish
- Slice the Gravlax thinly on the bias and without the skin. Serve with crackers and the mustard sauce.
Tags: vegetables , seafood , fruits