Enjoy Chuck Hughes' oyster chowder, rich with cream, potatoes, bacon and vegetables.
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of olive oil
- 6 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 6 cups (1,5 l) of water
- 2 cups (500 ml) 35 % cream
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter
- A handful of chive, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 dozens oysters, shucked, liquid reserved
Bacon And Vegetable Garnish:
- 3 large slices of bacon, brunoised
- 2 celery ribbon, brunoised
- 1 onion, brunoised
- 1 large Yukon Gold potato, cooked al dente and brunoised
- A handful of chervil
- A drizzle of olive oil
For The Soup:
- In a large saucepan on high heat, sautée the potatoes in olive oil with the onion and the celery. Add water, cream, salt and pepper.
- Next, add the reserved oyster juices to the soup mixture. Bring ingredients to a boil and let simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are nice and tender. Using a hand blender, purée the mixture until it’s smooth – pass through a fine sieve if necessary.
- Add butter and chives. Add the oyster meat only at the end to prevent from over cooking. Re-adjust the seasoning.
For The Bacon And Vegetable Garnish:
- In a frying pan on medium high heat, brown the bacon for 3 minutes.
- Add celery and onion and sautée for 2 minutes until they are soft. Add the potato and cook for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with the potato and bacon mixture, drizzle with olive oil and garnish with chervil.
Tags: vegetables , meat , dairy , seafood