Peach Blackberry Pie
This lattice-top pie is bursting with summer's finest fruit flavours!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces and chilled
- 3 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 8 peach, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups blackberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 egg, mixed with 2 tbsp cold water, for brushing
- 2 tbsp Turbinado sugar
- Combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until the texture of coarse meal.
- Mix together water and lemon juice and add to flour. Blend until dough just comes together.
- Shape dough into a disc and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Divide dough in half.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 piece of dough to 1/4-inch thick. Line a 9-inch pie pan with pastry leaving edges overhanging. Chill while preparing filling.
- Toss peaches and blackberries with sugar, flour, lemon zest, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Spoon fruit into pie pan and dot with butter.
- Roll out second piece of dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a pastry wheel or paring knife, cut 10 strips of dough 3/4 inch thick.
- To build the lattice top, place 5 strips side by side on top of the fruit filling, leaving 1/2 inch of space between them.
- Fold back 3 alternate strips of dough halfway back. Place a center cross strip laying over the 2 flat strips of dough. Return the 3 folded strips to their flat position.
- Repeat step 5, folding back the 2 alternate strips and repeat process until you have strips woven in.
- Trim edges of crust, leaving an inch hanging over. Turn bottom crust over edges of strips and crimp together with your fingers or with a fork.
- Brush pie with egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes on a baking sheet (to catch drips) until rich golden brown.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Tags: dairy , fruits