7 Tips for Using Your Microwave
Proper maintenance is key in ensuring the lifespan of your microwave!
Most households today have a microwave in the kitchen. It greatly reduces cooking time and it’s great for those who are too busy for conventional cooking methods. If you rely heavily on a microwave to prepare your food, these tips may be useful to keep your microwave properly maintained and running well for years.
While this may be the most obvious tip, it’s something many commonly neglect. Foods and liquids can splatter while using the microwave and over time this will lead to burnt spots damaging the interior. Most stains can be removed with soap and warm water. To prevent such splatters, use a microwave-safe lid to cover your food during the heating process.
Use microwave safe kitchenware
Using non microwave-safe kitchenware can lead to fires and explosions. Look for the “microwave-safe” stamp before placing them into the microwave. As a general rule, avoid using kitchenware with metal elements (including gold or silver trimming). If you notice any plate becoming extremely hot, avoid using it in the future.
Don’t run on empty
It may be tempting to use the microwave as a timer while cooking but it is highly discouraged. When empty, the energy does not get absorbed and bounces around inside. This can lead to a damaged microwave and a costly repair.
Close the door carefully
Ever slammed a microwave door, used your elbow to close it or opened the door while the microwave was still beeping? You’re not alone. What you may not know is that the closing mechanism of the microwave have switches and slamming the door can alter the order of the switches’ closing, which in turn leads to a blown safety fuse.
Don’t boil water
Boiling water in the microwave can lead to superheating – where the water is heated above its boiling point without visibly boiling. When the cup or glass is touched, there is a chance the water may suddenly and violently boil, potentially causing serious injury. Use a kettle to boil your water instead.
Protect against surges
Power surges can occur and damage your appliances, with your microwave being especially susceptible to damage. To prevent this, make sure it is removed from the socket when not in use or use a surge protector so that any voltage spikes do not damage its circuitry.
Use preset cooking modes
These modes are rarely used but should be used more often. They are designed to heat your food most efficiently while conserving energy. This could also help preventing splatters on the walls that could lead to burn spots.