How to Blanch Foods
A basic cooking technique that tends to come in handy, blanching is a cooking process where an ingredient is placed in boiling water for a short duration, and then immediately plunged into ice water to halt the cooking process.
How to Blanch
Bring a pot of water to a boil and add salt.
- Salt helps retain the nutrients within your food and prevents it from escaping into the water
- Salt also helps to keep green vegetables greener and seasons the food with better flavor
Place your ingredients into the pot.
- Blanching Time
- Broccoli and Cauliflower: 3-4 minutes (flowerets)
- Carrots: 2-3 minutes (cut), 5 minutes (whole)
- Cabbage: 1-1.5 minutes (shredded)
- Corn: 7-11 minutes (cob)
- Eggplant/Brinjal: 4 minutes
- Green Beans: 3 minutes
- Peas: 1.5-2.5 minutes
- Potatoes: 3-5 minutes
- Leafy Greens: 2 minutes
- Meats/Bones: 5-10 minutes
Remove from pot and place into ice water.
Leave it for a few seconds and remove.
If you're looking at freezing the ingredients, dry them thoroughly by patting it with paper towels and you can store them for future use.
Why Should You Blanch Your Food?
The process of blanching is relatively easy and it doesn't take up a lot of time. If those are not good enough reasons for you to start using this technique, the list of benefits below might change your mind!
- Achieves "crisp-tender" texture for vegetables
- Helps to retain the vitamins and nutrients in fruits and vegetables, and keeps the flavors fresh
- Brightens and fixes the color in green vegetables; unlike raw vegetables, blanched vegetables do not turn brown over time
- Prepares fruits and vegetables for long-term freezer storage
- Aids you to easily peel thin-skinned fruits such as peaches, tomatoes, apricots and nectarines
- Helps to shorten cooking time as raw vegetables or meats are par-cooked for later use
- Helps to remove impurities and unpleasant flavors in meats
- Creates clearer meat soups and stocks as the proteins from the meat will surface and coagulate into a gray foam which should be removed
- Helps clean off the dirt that might be present in your food