Serves 4 people
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- Beancurd is a good source of protein, iron and calcium! Manganese, selenium and phosphorus are also present in this healthy food, as well as vitamin B1
- 2 pcs firm tofu, halved or quartered
- ½ cucumber, julienned
- 100 g ground peanuts
- 5 red chilies, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 5 large shallots, quartered
- ½ Tbsp tamarind pulp mixed with 30 ml water, seeds removed
- 40 g bean sprouts, blanched
- 1 tsp toasted Double Pagoda white sesame seeds
- 35 ml Double Pagoda sesame oil
- 100 ml Double Pagoda shallot oil
- 40 ml kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ½ Tbsp salt
- 50 ml water
Chef's TipsMake your own shallot oil and crispy shallots!
- In a pot on medium heat, add 200 ml vegetable oil and 5 thinly sliced shallots. When the shallots start changing color from golden to brown, turn off the heat.
- Allow shallots to to render in the oil for another 10 minutes to impart more flavor, and turn a darker brown. Strain the shallots and keep them for garnishing, and bottle the oil for a delicious condiment!
Blend and Fry Peanut Sauce
In a blender, add chili, garlic and 5 quartered shallots. Blend into a rough paste, then add 35 ml sesame oil. Blend into a smooth paste.
In a pot on medium heat, add spice paste and fry for 10 minutes, or until dry.
Add ground peanuts and stir well.
When combined, add 40 ml kecap manis, 1 Tbsp sugar, ½ Tbsp salt, 50 ml water and tamarind water. Mix well and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
Shallow-fry firm tofu
In a pot on medium heat, add 100 ml shallot oil and shallow-fry firm tofu. Set aside to drain.
- Try air-frying the beancurd for a healthy take on this dish
Serve tofu hot with peanut sauce, blanched bean sprouts, and julienned cucumbers. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds.