Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- Steamed fish is a popular dish in Chinese households as it is perfect for sharing. Pomfret is typically used as it is a favorite amongst the older generations due to its low fat content.
- 800 g pomfret
- 50 g ginger
- 200 g spring onion
- 2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 large bowl salt water, big enough to place fish
- 1 large bowl clear water, big enough to place fish
- Use fresh fish for the best results
Clean the fish
Make a slit in the fish being careful not to cut all the way through the fish.
Wash fish in a large bowl of salt water to remove the blood. Once done, rinse it with clear water.
Prepare a base for the fish
Place 25 g of sliced ginger and 100 g of spring onion onto the tray.
Stuff the fish and steam
Place another 25 g of sliced ginger and 100 g of spring onion inside the fish cavity. This is to open up the fish and allow steamer’s heat to reach the meat more easily.
Place it in the steamer for 7 minutes.
Fry the garlic
In a wok, fry 2 Tbsp of oil and 2 Tbsp of minced garlic until fragrant and the garlic is golden brown.
Drizzle 2 Tbsp of soy sauce on the fish.
- Washing fish in salt water and cooking with ginger is used to get rid of fishiness
- Garnish with finely sliced large red chili over the pomfret