Coconut Pancakes with Gula Melaka Drizzle
Makes 6 - 8 pancakes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- Coconut-flavored pancakes are a popular street food or snack in many countries in Asia
- 4 eggs, 2 egg yolks separated from whites
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 4 Tbsp organic coconut oil (substitute with butter)
- 100 g gula melaka (palm sugar), shredded
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 cup warm water
- Cashew nuts, crushed
Mix the pancake batter
In a mixing bowl, add flour, 2 Tbsp caster sugar, 2 eggs, 2 eggs yolks, 4 Tbsp coconut oil, ½ cup coconut milk and mix. Gradually add warm water until the batter is smooth.
Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into the pancake mixture.
- Instead of vegetable oil, this dish uses coconut oil, a saturated fat which is able to withstand higher temperatures than other oils. This makes it one of the best oils for cooking
- Use organic extra virgin coconut oil for the best quality
In a non-stick pan, add in 1 tsp butter. When the pan is hot, pour a ladle of the pancake batter into the pan.
Flip when bubbles appear on the top of the pancake. Repeat until you run out of batter.
Cook gula melaka syrup
In a small pot, add gula melaka, ½ cup coconut milk and stir until it melts. Set aside.
Plate and serve
Stack pancakes and drizzle gula melaka syrup on top.
Sprinkle cashew nuts to garnish.
Best served hot.