Whip up these delicious almond cookies for Chinese New Year! Be sure to make an extra batch cause this sweet treat will be gone in seconds.
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Prepare the oven
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
Step 2 - Make the dough
- Place the plain flour, ground almonds, icing sugar, cornstarch, salt, baking soda and baking powder into a food processor. Whiz to combine. Beat 1 egg yolk and oil together, and pour into the food processor, then pulse until you have damp chunks of dough.
Step 3 - Shape and bake the cookies
- Tip the dough out onto your work surface. Knead it lightly once or twice, while drizzling a little water in. Once the dough comes together, roll it out to a 1cm thickness. It's very flaky, so it might fall apart a little.
- Using a small round cookie cutter, cut out the cookies and place them on the lined baking trays.
- Brush each cookie with some egg wash (1 egg yolk beaten with milk or water), and top with a flaked almond. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until cooked through and golden brown.
Let's plate and serve!
Plate and serve!