A crispy brown sugar and almond delight that will leave you craving for more!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Preheat oven and pound fennel seeds
- Preheat oven at 180°C.
- Using a mortar and pestle, pound fennel seeds until fine. Set aside.
Step 2 - Melt brown sugar and add butter and whipping cream
- In a pot on low heat, melt brown sugar and 2 Tbsp water until sugar is completely melted. This should take 6 to 8 minutes, do not stir.
- Once melted, add in butter and whipping cream. Mix well.
Do not stir brown sugar mixture when melting; this prevents it from crystallizing
Step 3 - Make almond florentine
- Add honey, vanilla extract to the pot and mix well again.
- Slowly add in plain flour and pounded fennel seeds, mix well and remove from heat.
- Stir in almond slices until well coated.
Step 4 - Bake almond florentine
- On a baking tray lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper, place 1 Tbsp almond florentine and spread into a small circle like a cookie.
- Repeat with remaining almond florentine. Bake in the oven for 4 to 6 minutes until golden brown.
Store this delicious treats in an airtight container and it will stay fresh for 4 days
Let's plate and serve!
Allow it to cool down for 10 minutes before removing it from the silicone mat or parchment paper. Transfer almond florentine onto serving dish and serve at room temperature.