‘Pedas’ in Malay means ‘spicy’. This is a dish of perfectly cooked mackerel cooked in a sour and spicy gravy -simply delicious!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Blend and fry rempah (spice paste)
- In a blender, blend shallots, garlic, large red chili, 2 stalk lemongrass and belacan until smooth. If mixture is too dry, you can use vegetable oil to help you achieve a smooth consistency.
- In a pot on medium heat, fry blended paste for 5 minutes until fragrant.
Step 2 - Make tamarind water and pour into pot
- In a jug or bowl, mix tamarind paste with 250 ml water until well combined. Remove tamarind seeds.
- Into the pot with spice paste, pour in tamarind water and add asam keping, pineapple cubes, 2 lemongrass stalks, tomato wedges and laksa leaf. Let it simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes until tomatoes are cooked.
Step 3 - Add mackerel to the pot
- Once tomatoes are cooked, add mackerel and let simmer for another 6 to 8 minutes until fish is cooked.
Plate and serve!
Transfer dish into serving plate or dish and garnish with sliced laksa leaves. Serve hot.