Awaken your senses with this aromatic, mouthwatering Assam Laksa that is good for any occasion!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Make tamarind water
- In a bowl, mix 300 ml water with tamarind paste. Set aside tamarind water.
Step 2 - Boil fish and asam keping
- In a pot, boil enough water to submerge fish. Once water is boiling, add fish and 3 asam keping for 8 to 10 minutes, until cooked.
- Turn off the heat and place cooked fish in a medium sized bowl. Remove and discard boiled asam keping.
Step 3 - Break up fish flesh from bones
- Use a fork to pull away fish flesh from the bones and break it up into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
Step 4 - Blend chili, shrimp paste, galangal and lemongrass
- In a blender, blend softened dried chilies, 1 Tbsp shrimp paste, galangal and lemongrass stalks until smooth. If mixture is too dry, add some water to help you achieve a smooth consistency.
Step 5 - Make assam broth and add fish meat
- In the same pot, add blended ingredients, tamarind water, 3 asam keping, torch ginger bud, mint and 4 Tbsp fish sauce. Season to taste with white sugar and fish sauce if needed.
- Add in the fish meat into the broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and let it simmer for 1 hour. Assam laksa is listed as one of the world’s 50 delicious food.
Plate and serve!
Place laksa noodles and julienne cucumber into serving bowl. Ladle hot broth and fish meat over the noodles. Garnish with coriander leaves, sliced large red chili, sliced shallots and lime wedge.