Ayam Masak Lemak
Chicken with Turmeric Coconut Curry
This popular Malaysian dish translates to ‘chicken in turmeric coconut curry’ and is thought to have originated from Sri Lanka.
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Make the coconut milk
- In a large bowl, add coconut flesh with 2 cup warm water and mix well using your hands.
- Squeeze the coconut milk using a strainer until you get approximately 2 -3 cups of coconut milk.
- Skip this step if you’re using store-bought coconut milk. Set aside.
Step 2 - Blend and fry spice paste
- In a blender, blend 6 chili padi, 1 large red chili, ginger, ½ tsp turmeric powder, shallots and garlic until smooth.
- If mixture is too dry, you can use water to help you achieve a smooth consistency.
- In a pan on medium-high heat, fry spice paste for 5 minutes.
Step 3 - Mix chicken in spice paste
- Add bruised lemongrass and chicken into the pan and mix well.
Step 4 - Add coconut milk in chili paste
In a pot on medium heat, heat coconut milk and 3 Tbsp coconut oil until fragrant but not boiling.
When slightly fragrant, pour into chili paste.Coconut oil gives a pleasant aroma and taste.
Let it simmer for 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked.
Step 5 - Season the curry and add turmeric leaves
- Season to taste with salt and brown sugar if needed, then add turmeric leaves.
- Turn off heat and keep covered for another 5 minutes. Best eaten with steamed white rice.
Plate and Serve!
Transfer dish into serving bowl and garnish with large red chili slices. Serve hot.