Ayam Panggang Kecap
This Indonesian sweet soy sauce grilled chicken is jam packed with flavour. Savour this quick and easy recipe!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Soak chicken in tamarind water and salt
In a bowl or a deep dish, mix tamarind water, 1 Tsp salt and chicken together until evenly coated. Let it soak for 10 minutes.Store leftover tamarind water in an airtight container in the refrigerator
Step 2 - Make spice paste
- In a blender, blend 3 Tbsp butter, chili padi, shallots, garlic, white peppercorns, candlenuts, ½ Tsp salt, belacan and 1 Tbsp fish sauce until smooth.
- If mixture is too dry, add vegetable oil to achieve a smooth consistency.
Step 3 - Fry spice paste with butter
- In a pan on medium heat, fry blended ingredients for 3 to 4 minutes until fragrant. Once fragrant, add 3 Tbsp unsalted butter and stir well until melted.
Step 4 - Cook chicken in sauce
- In the same pan, place the chicken with 3 Tbsp soy sauce, 2 Tbsp kecap manis, 1 Tsp sugar and 2 ½ cup water.
- On low heat, cook the chicken for 10 to 15 minutes, until tender and sauce dries up.
Step 5 - Coat chicken in dark soy sauce
- Transfer the chicken onto a baking tray and coat the chicken generously with 2 Tbsp kecap manis.
Place chicken in a preheated oven at 180°C and bake the chicken for 10 to 12 minutes, until it is well cooked and caramelized.This dish is best eaten with steamed rice, fried vegetables and sambal belacan.
Plate and serve!
Place chicken on serving plate or dish and serve hot!