Chinese Rice Dumplings
This glutinous rice dumpling, wrapped in bamboo leaves is also known as ‘zong zi’. Traditionally eaten during the Dragonboat Festival to commemorate the poet Qu Yuan, here’s how to make these tasty babies to enjoy any time of the year!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Marinate pork and season rice
- In a mixing bowl, add diced pork, 1 Tbsp oyster sauce, ½ Tbsp dark soy sauce, ½ Tbsp light soy sauce, ½ Tsp sesame oil, ½ Tsp Shaoxing wine, 1 Tsp five spice powder, and 1 Tsp white pepper. Mix well to coat pork evenly, then cover and set aside to marinate for at least 20 minutes. For best results, marinate overnight in refrigerator.
- In another mixing bowl, add rice, 2 Tbsp oyster sauce, 2 Tbsp dark soy sauce, 1 Tbsp light soy sauce, 1 Tbsp sesame oil, 1 Tbsp white pepper and stir to mix well. Season to taste with salt and white pepper, and remove from heat after 5 minutes. Set aside.
Step 2 - Stir-fry ingredients
- In a pot of boiling water, blanch Chinese sausages for 10 seconds, then remove. Slice open and remove casing, then dice into 1 cm cubes.
- In a pan on medium heat, add 2 Tbsp vegetable oil. add mushrooms and chestnuts and sauté for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, add Chinese sausages and sauté for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, add dried shrimp and sauté for 1-2 minutes, until they start foaming. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, add pork belly and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
Step 3 - Fry rice
- In the same pan, add 2 Tbsp vegetable oil. When hot, add shallots and fry for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown.
- Add the marinated rice and mix well. After 3 minutes, remove and set aside.
Step 4 - Wrap ba zhang
- Using two leaves, fold to form a cone. Fill 1/3 of the cone with rice, then add equal amounts of pork belly, mushrooms, Chinese sausages, 1 chestnut, 1 Tsp dried shrimps and 1 pc salted egg. Top off with more rice to cover the ingredients and pack tightly.
- Fold down the loose top part of the leaves around the rest of the pouch, then secure tightly with string. Repeat for all remaining ingredients.
- In a pot of boiling water on medium heat, fully submerge ba zhang and allow to boil for 2 hours, covered.
Plate and serve!
After 2 hours, remove and leave to drain on a colander, then serve hot!