Baked Macaroni Casserole
Who doesn’t love some mac and cheese? Try out this unique Dutch take on the classic, commonly enjoyed in Indonesia, also known as ‘makaroni skotel’ or ‘macaroni schotel’!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Boil macaroni
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- In a pot filled with water, add macaroni and boil according to package instructions, but for 5 minutes only. Remove, drain and set aside.
Step 2 - Cook vegetables with chicken broth and cream
- In a pan on medium-high heat, add garlic and onions. Sweat for 20 seconds, then add chicken, carrots, celery, button mushrooms and thyme. Stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth and cream, then stir well. Bring to a boil, and allow to bubble away for 5 minutes, until reduced.
- Add drained macaroni and stir. Season to taste with salt, sugar, and white pepper, then remove from heat.
Step 3 - Bake casserole
- In a large dish, pour in macaroni mix. Top with parmesan and mozzarella.
Plate and Serve!
Bake at 220°C for 5 minutes, or until top is golden brown. Remove from heat and serve hot!