Banana Chocolate Lava Cake
Cut into this classic dessert, also known as a ‘tortino’, to reveal flowy, molten chocolate filling with bananas. A tropical twist on a definite crowd favorite!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Melt butter and chocolate
- On a steam bath, add butter and chocolate, and slowly melt, stirring constantly.
- Once completely melted, set aside.
Step 2 - Mix batter
- In a bowl, add eggs and 100 g sugar. Stir until pale, and sugar is dissolved.
- Add flour in slowly, while stirring to combine. Stir in mashed banana.
- Once fully combined, slowly pour in melted chocolate and butter in a thin stream while stirring constantly to distribute any residual heat.
Step 3 - Prepare molds
- Using about 20 g butter, generously coat the insides of each coffee cup, leaving no surface unbuttered.
- Add 1 Tbsp cocoa powder to one cup, cap it with another and shake to coat buttered surfaces, shaking out the excess to the next cup when done, and adding more if necessary.
Step 4 - Bake and serve
- Fill each coffee cup about 80% full with batter, add 1 tsp diced banana in the centre and push bananas deeper into the batter. Set aside to chill in the refrigerator for at least half an hour.
- Remove from refrigerator and bake at 220°C for 13 minutes.
Let's plate and serve!
Allow cakes to cool for 2 - 3 minutes, then unmold on a plate. Serve hot.