These Vietnamese sandwiches with pork, pickled vegetables and herbs are easy to make. Here’s a quick recipe to try out
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Marinate pork
- Grind together the garlic, ginger, peppercorns, coriander leaves, stalks and spring onions in a mortar and pestle until you have a smooth paste.
- Add in 2 Tbsp fish sauce and 1 Tbsp honey and mix well.
- Place the pork in a bowl and add three quarters of the paste to marinate for 20 minutes, setting aside the rest.
Step 2 - Pickle vegetables
- In a small bowl, dissolve 1 Tsp sea salt and 1 Tbsp caster sugar in 3 Tbsp rice vinegar and then fold in the carrot and cucumber ribbons.
- Set aside for at least 20 minutes at room temperature, then drain and set aside.
Step 3 - Make the chili and coriander mayonnaise
- Blend the mayonnaise with the chili and coriander until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix in the lime juice, then set aside to chill until needed.
Step 4 - Cook pork
- Cook the pork over high heat on a lightly oiled pan for 2 minutes on each side until cooked through and sizzling.
- Brush over with the reserved marinade to create a sticky coating.
Assemble and Serve!
Split open the rolls and slather each side with the chili and coriander mayonnaise. Add the shredded lettuce followed by the drained pickled vegetables. Top with pork cubes and scatter slices of green chili over. Serve hot, while the pork is still warm and the lettuce and pickled carrot are still cool.