A thin Vietnamese crepe filled with crunchiness of bean sprouts and savory goodness from the prawns. It’s the perfect combination of texture and flavor!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Make crepe batter
- In a mixing bowl, add rice flour, eggs, 2 tsp turmeric powder, 500 ml water, 1 tsp salt and chopped spring onion.
- Stir well and let the batter rest for 30 minutes.
Step 2 - Stir-fry prawns
- In a pan on medium-high heat, stir-fry prawns with 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp white pepper and minced garlic for 3 to 4 minutes, until prawns are fully cooked.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
Step 3 - Make crepe
- In a separate pan on medium-high heat, heat 1 tsp vegetable oil evenly around the pan.
- Ladle a small amount batter and tilt the pan in a circular motion to spread the batter evenly.
- It should be a thin layer.
Step 4 - Add prawns
- Add 3 tsp prawns and a handful of bean sprouts. Cover pan and let it cook for 1 minute. You may use any greens and herbs of your choice for this dish, depending on what flavor and texture you like!
Step 5 - Fold crepe
- Fold the crepe in half and fry for 1 more minute and transfer to a plate. Repeat until you finish the batter and filling.
Step 6 - Make dipping sauce
- In a bowl, combine 2 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp fish sauce, lime juice and 10 tsp water together and stir well to dissolve sugar. Banh xeois named for the noticeable sizzling sound when the batter hits the hot pan!
Plate and serve!
Transfer the filled crepe into serving plate and serve with fresh greens and dipping sauce on the side.