BBQ Salted Fish
with Sweet Sambal Sauce
Indonesian-inspired grilled fish paired with a refreshing salad and a sweet sambal sauce, the perfect symphony of flavors!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Coat fish in salt and grill
Place sea bream on a baking tray.
Drizzle some water on the fish and generously coat in coarse salt to make a crust.You can use sea bass and snapper instead of sea bream
Grill for 30 minutes.
Step 2 - Make salad
- In a bowl, mix iceberg lettuce, sliced cucumber, holy basil, laksa leaves, mint leaves, thinly sliced lemongrass, grated coconut, sliced shallots and 1 Tbsp white sugar. Set aside.
You can use any vegetables and herbs of your choice
Step 3 - Blend rempah (spice paste)
- In a blender, blend dried chili, 4 shallots and garlic until smooth. Use vegetable oil to help you achieve a smooth consistency.
Step 4 - Fry rempah
- In a pan on medium-high heat, heat up 2 Tbsp vegetable oil and add the spice paste. Fry for one minute or until fragrant.
- When fragrant, add in 6 Tbsp palm sugar.
- Fry and mix well until sugar dissolves. Set aside.
Step 5 - Boil lontong
- In a pot of boiling water, boil the lontong for 10 minutes. Drain and cut it into cubes. Set aside.
Plate and serve
Gently scrape off the the salt crust from the fish with a knife. Place the whole fish on a bed of lettuce. Serve with salad and sweet sambal sauce on the side.