A popular dish in Taiwan, dig into this delicious bowl of noodles in piping hot beef broth, with a touch of spiciness!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Sear beef
- In a pan on high heat, heat 2 Tbsp oil. Sear beef until brown and set aside. Searing the meat locks in its juices and gives it more color
Step 2 - Fry vegetables
- In a stockpot, heat some oil over medium-high heat. Add in onion, garlic, ginger, spicy bean paste, 2 tsp sha cha sauce and tomato paste.
- Fry for about 3 minutes to combine all ingredients well.
- Toss in dried chili, carrots and tomatoes and fry for another minute.
Step 3 - Simmer vegetables
- Add in 1.5 L water. Toss in the star anise, cinnamon, bay leaf, Szechuan peppercorn, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and 1 tsp black pepper and beef slices. Cover and simmer over low heat for 2 hours.
Garnish and serve!
Ladle the hot soup and beef chunks into noodle bowl, garnish with spring onions and serve immediately.