with Bean Curd Sticks and Chinese Chestnuts
Indulge in a bowl of hearty beef stew with sweet and savoury notes!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Deep-fry beef cubes
- Cut beef brisket into 1 inch cubes.
- In a pot, heat up oil enough for deep frying.
- Deep-fry the beef cubes for 20 seconds.
- Drain excess oil on a paper towel lined plate and set aside. The oil should be relatively hot when deep frying the beef cubes (about 200°Cto 220°C)
Step 2 - Make the stew
- In a separate pot, heat up 2 Tbsp oil over high heat and fry ginger, galangal and garlic.
- Stir-fry for 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add ½ cup red wine and let it reduce until half of the liquid is left. Any kind of red wine can be used for this recipe.
Step 3 - Season the stew
- Season the stew with hoisin sauce, palm sugar, 1 Tbsp white vinegar, 1 cup water and beef stock to the stew and bring to a boil.
Step 4 - Add vegetables to the stew
- To the stew, add chinese chestnuts, white radish and carrots.
- Cook for 30 minutes, until softened.
- Add in beef cubes, 4 roughly chopped spring onion and 2 roughly chopped soaked bean curd sticks to the stew.
- Let it simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes.
Garnish and Serve!
Transfer stew to serving bowl and garnish with 1 sliced spring onions and large chili slices. Serve hot.