Braised Beef Brisket Noodles
Beef brisket noodles, or niú nǎn miàn, is a Chinese and Taiwanese noodle dish of hot beef broth ladled over noodles and served with tender beef slices.
Let's start cooking!
Step 1- Blanch noodles and vegetables
- In a pot, boil enough water for blanching.
- Once boiling, cook the laksa noodles for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain and rinse with cool water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- In the same pot, add bok choy and blanch for 30 seconds. Drain and set aside.
One of Taiwan’s national dishes, the capital Taipei holds an annual Beef Noodle Festival, where the title of “Best Beef Noodle” is fought over by various chefs and restaurants in the country.
Step 2 - Fry aromatics and cook beef brisket
- In another pot on medium heat, dry fry shallots and ginger for 2 minutes until lightly browned.
- In the same pot, add beef stock, ¼ cup soy sauce, ¼ cup oyster sauce, ½ tsp sesame oil and 3 Tbsp brown sugar. Bring to a boil and add diced beef brisket.
- Reduce to medium-low heat and simmer for 45 minutes until beef is tender.
- The sauce should have reduced and thickened at this point.
One of 9 prime beef cuts, brisket is from the breast or lower chest of beef or veal.
Garnish and Serve!
In a serving bowl, add noodles, bok choy and ladle over your soup, along with beef brisket. Add spring onions and drizzle sesame oil on top. Serve hot.