Korean Army Stew
Budae-Jjigae, which is Korean for ‘army base stew’, was created after the Korean war and gained popularity internationally after Korean variety shows started featuring this dish. Perfect for sharing with family and friends, this dish will warm your stomachand soul!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Make sauce base
- In a bowl, mix 3 Tbsp gochugaru, ½ Tbsp doenjang, 2 Tbsp light soy sauce, 1 Tbsp fish sauce, 1 Tbsp rice wine, 1 Tbsp white sugar, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp salt, garlic and 30 ml warm water until well combined.
- Pour sauce base ingredients into a blender and blend until slightly chunky. Set aside.
Step 2 - Make soup base and assemble budae-jigae ingredients
- In a pot, mix beef stock, ikan bilis and shiitake mushrooms.
- Bring to a boil and let it boil for 10 minutes.
Step 3 - Pour soup base, cook and serve!
- In a large pan without heat, place kimchi in the middle and arrange luncheon meat, napa cabbage, sausages, yellow onions, leeks, spring onions, enoki mushrooms, firm tofu and tteok around the pan.
- Place ramen, dangmyeon and sauce base over the fresh ingredients.
- Pour soup base over the ingredients and place it on medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil and let it cook for 5 to 8 minutes until noodles are cooked.
Plate and serve!
Best eaten with steamed rice