Buttermilk Stir Fried Kai Lan
Elevate your vegetable Snacks with our buttermilk stir fried kai lan! Spicy and buttery, this dish is sure to capture anyone’s attention!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Slice kai lan
- Slice 2 inches from the top of the kai lan leafs to halfway, leaving half of the leafy part and the stem.
- Thinly slice the 2 inches of kai lan leaves.
- Set aside the stem portion
Step 2 - Deep-fry kai lan leaves
- In a pot on high heat, heat up enough vegetable oil to fry the kai lan leaves.
- Deep-fry thinly sliced kai lan leaves in hot oil for about 10 seconds until crisp.
- Season with salt and set aside.
Step 3 - Blanch kai lan stems
In a separate pot, boil enough water to blanch the kai lan stems.Blanching is often used to soften, partly cook or to remove a strong taste.
When the water is boiling, blanch the kai lan stems for 10 seconds.
Remove from pot and place into a bowl of ice water.
Strain and pat dry kai lan with paper towel.Placing the kai lan in a bowl of ice water stops the kai lan from cooking further, and keeps the bright green color of the vegetables.
Step 4 - Fry kai lan stems
- In a pan on medium heat, heat up 1 Tbsp vegetable oil and fry the kai lan stems.
- Stir fry for a minute and set aside.
Step 5 - Make buttermilk sauce
- In the same pan, add chopped garlic, curry leaves and sliced chili padi and fry until fragrant.
- When fragrant, add in 1 Tbsp butter and 2 Tbsp heavy cream. Fry for 1 minute and stir well. The sauce should be thick.
Plate and serve!
Arrange the kai lan stems on the plate and drizzle the buttermilk sauce. Garnish with fried kai lan leaves and serve.