Also spelt as ‘Chap Chai’, this his delicious mixed vegetable stew is a perennial family favourite. Here's an easy recipe for you to recreate at home.
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Deep-fry the bean curd skins
- In a braising pot, deep fry dried bean curd skins over a low-medium fire till lightly crispy.
Step 2 - Stir-fry the shallots and garlic
- Leave ½ cup of oil in the pan, and fry shallots and garlic for 2 minutes.
Step 3 - Cook the soy ingredients
- Add in the fermented bean curd, soy beans and water gradually.
Step 4 - Boil the black fungus and mushrooms
- Add soaked black fungus and mushrooms, and let it boil under a lid.
Step 5 - Steam the rest of the ingredients
- Add cabbage, fried bean curd skins, prawns, glass noodles and let it steam for about 2-3 minutes.
Season and serve!
Season with sugar, light soy sauce and white pepper before serving.