This savory egg custard is a staple in almost any Japanese meal - best served piping hot!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Marinate ingredients
- In a mixing bowl, add chicken, shrimps, 2 Tbsp light soy sauce, 1 tsp salt and 2 Tbsp mirin. Mix well, then set aside to marinate for 10 minutes.
Step 2 - Mix chawanmushi
- In another mixing bowl, add fish broth and eggs. Stir well to combine, then strain. Slowly pour egg mixture through a fine mesh strainer once or twice. This prevents bubbles from forming, removes solids, and gives you a glassy surface
Step 3 - Assemble and steam chawanmushi
- In small ramekins or cups, add ½ tsp prawn, 2 - 3 chicken pieces and ½ tsp crab sticks, then pour in chawanmushi to about 90% full.
- Top off with shiitake slices.
- Steam for 20 minutes. Some variations also add naruto, a type of Japanese fish cake, and gingko nuts!
Let's plate and serve!
Remove from heat, garnish with ikura and spring onion, and serve hot!