Adobo is a popular style of cooking in the Philippines, where the meat is marinated in vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, and is absolutely lip-smacking!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Marinate chicken
- In a large bowl, marinate the chicken with 4 Tbsp dark soy sauce, 3 Tbsp vinegar, ½ Tbsp sugar, unpeeled garlic and bay leaves, along with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Cover and set aside to marinate for 2 hours.
Step 2 - Fry garlic for garlic oil
- In a small pan, heat ¼ cup vegetable oil over a medium heat. Add the chopped garlic and fry until golden brown.
- Drain, reserving the oil and setting the fried garlic aside separately. Garlic can also be cooked in olive oil to create more flavorful garlic oil
Step 3 - Simmer chicken
- Add 5 Tbsp of the garlic-infused oil to a large pot over a medium heat.
- Pour all the contents of the bowl with the marinated chicken. Cover with just enough water.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
- Season to taste with black pepper and salt. Remove from heat.
Garnish and serve
Garnish with thick slices of red chili and serve hot, with plenty of steamed white rice.