An incredibly popular appetizer in many Asian restaurants, here’s how to make your own, along with with a Vietnamese nuoc cham dipping sauce
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Form chicken into lollipop shape
- Cut loose the meat chicken from the bone end, push down to create a lollipop-like appearance.
Whole chicken wings can also be used
Step 2 - Marinate chicken
- Marinate the chicken with hot sauce, fish sauce, sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Cover for 1 hour.
- Ensure the chicken is dry, then coat with plain flour.
Step 3 - Prepare dipping sauce
- While the chicken is marinating, prepare the dipping sauce. In a bowl, combine sweet Thai chili, plum sauce, lime juice, chopped coriander leaves, and fish sauce. Set aside.
Other popular sauces for such fried chicken dishes include Szechuan sauce, mayonnaise, tomato ketchup, as well as garlic chili sauces - the sky’s the limit!
Step 4 - Deep-fry chicken
- In a deep-frying pan on medium heat, half-filled with hot oil, deep-fry the chicken, a few pieces at a time. This will take 6-8 minutes.
- Leave to cool and drain on paper towels.
Garnish and serve
Serve hot with the dipping sauce.