Chicken and Mushroom Rice
Silken chicken, accompanied by the beautiful earthy flavor of mushrooms, makes this the perfect Chinese comfort food!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Cut mushrooms and prepare dried ingredients
Cut and discard the stems of the shiitake mushrooms. Slice into quarter caps and set aside.Feel free to use other types of mushrooms in addition to the ones mentioned above
Remove pit from red dates and set aside.
Drain the scallops and reserve the liquid to cook the rice. Set both aside.
Step 2 - Marinate chicken
- In a medium bowl, mix the chicken, 1 Tbsp light soy sauce, 1 Tbsp oyster sauce, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper, and ½ tsp cornstarch together. Set aside for 15 minutes. Replace chicken with pork or beef for some variety
Step 3 - Cook rice
- Rinse the rice well and drain.
- Place in a rice cooker and fill with water reserved from scallops, and additional water, if necessary, to cook.
- When the rice is half cooked about 15 minutes later, place the chicken, shiitake mushrooms, black fungus, red dates and scallops evenly over the rice and continue cooking until the chicken and rice are both cooked. This takes about 30 minutes in total.
Step 4 - Prepare sauce
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the sauce. Mix 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp dark soy sauce, 1 tsp oyster sauce, 1 tsp sugar, and ½ tsp sesame oil until the sugar dissolves. Set aside.
Garnish and serve
Once the rice is cooked, scoop into a bowl or serving plate. Add the chicken on top, drizzle sauce over and garnish with spring onion and coriander before serving.