A specialty Malaysian dish, this dry chicken curry is slow cooked, resulting in a fragrant and tender chicken. Here’s how to do this at home.
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Blend spice paste
- Lightly toast coriander & cumin seeds on a pan then remove.
- Roughly chop chilies, ginger, turmeric and galangal
- Blend the toasted seeds, lemongrass, ginger, turmeric, galangal, red chili and red chili padi. Use a little water to help the blender along into a paste.
Step 2 - Cook rendang
- In a wok on medium heat, add spice paste and cook until the paste is fragrant and reduced.
- Add in coconut milk, lime leaves and turmeric leaf and stir to mix. After 10 minutes, add in the kerisik.
- Add in chicken and cook for another 30 minutes on low heat until the chicken is tender and cooked.
Step 3 - Saute raisins
- In a pan on medium heat, sauté the raisins with 1 Tbsp butter. Set aside.
Garnish and serve!
Serve rendang hot, with raisins by the side. Best with steamed rice or ketupat (rice cake).