Coconut Beef Curry
Fill the air with the fragrant aroma of this mouth-watering coconut beef curry (inspired by the flavors of Beef Rendang) - guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Toast the desiccated coconut and fry the star fruit
- In a pan, toast the desiccated coconut over low heat, stirring frequently until golden brown for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and set aside. In the same frying pan, stir-fry the star fruit with turmeric, remove from the pan and set aside.
Step 2 - Blend the spice paste
- In a blender, blend garlic, shallots, ginger, chili padi, galangal, ¼ cup water and 2 Tbsp vegetable oil until smooth. For a spicier curry, add more chili padi in the spice paste
Step 3 - Fry spice paste
- Heat a pot over medium-low heat until hot. Add 3 Tbsp vegetable oil, swirling to coat the sides. Add the blended spice paste and stir in chili sauce, stirring until the oil separates from the paste.
Step 4 - Season and simmer the beef
- Add 1 Tbsp palm sugar, tamarind powder, beef cubes, 400 ml coconut milk and toasted coconut and simmer for 30 minutes.
Step 5 - Add in final ingredients, boil then simmer curry
- Add chopped star fruit, crushed lemongrass and 1 cup water and mix well. Bring to a boil then bring the heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for another 1 hour until the sauce is reduced. Best served with steamed white rice
Plate and serve!
Transfer the coconut beef curry to a serving bowl or dish. Top with large red chili slices for garnish.