With a rich custard base topped off with a crackly, golden caramel shell, what’s not to love about this classic French dessert?
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Boil milk and cream
- Preheat oven to 120°C.
- In a pot on medium heat, add milk, cream and 2 tsp vanilla essence. Stir constantly to mix well and ensure it doesn’t burn. Once it boils, remove from heat and set aside.
Step 2 - Mix batter
- In a bowl, add egg yolks and sugar and whip until pale.
- Add all the milk and cream Tbsp by Tbsp to the egg yolk, stirring to distribute heat. Mix well.
Step 3 - Bake and serve
- Fill 5-inch ramekins about 80% full, then lightly tap on counter to remove air pockets.
- Adjust oven settings to top and bottom heat, then bake at 120°C for 45 minutes in a steam bath.
- Remove from heat, and set aside to cool. Once around room temperature, coat surface with brown sugar.
Let's plate and serve!
Using a blow torch, lightly torch the surface to caramelize sugar. Serve!