Durian Cheese Tart
Can’t decide if you’re a fan of this pungent fruit? This delicious fusion delight is sure to change your mind!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Make the dough
- In a food processor, blend 150 g cubed butter, 60 g caster sugar, 1 egg and plain flour until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and knead until smooth, adding 1 Tbsp cold water at a time if it’s too dry.
- Set aside in a bowl, covered with cling wrap, to rest for 20 minutes.
Step 2 - Mix almonds with dough
- After resting, add in almond flakes to dough and mix well until almonds are evenly distributed.
Step 3 - Roll out the dough and bake pastry
Roll out the dough wide enough for a 22 cm spring form pan.
Pat pastry into corners of the pan, making sure the pan is evenly lined with pastry before trimming off the excess.
Score the pastry with a fork, and then place tin foil over the pastry and fill the top with green beans or baking beads.The green beans are to weigh down the shell to ensure the crust retains its shape while baking.
Bake the pastry for 20 minutes at 180°C, until crust becomes nice and golden. Remove foil (together with green beans) and set aside to cool.
Step 4 - Blend the cream cheese base
- Using a hand or stand mixer, mix cream cheese until smooth. Add in 4 egg yolks one at a time, and mix for another 2 minutes.
- Add sour cream, ¾ cup honey and ½ cup milk, 1 Tbsp vanilla essence and durian flesh and mix well. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and set aside. While blending, occasionally use a flexible spatula to scrape down the sides of the processor to avoid clumps.
Step 5 - Make the meringue
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk 4 egg whites into a meringue. It should look white and fluffy.
- Fold meringue into the cream cheese batter with a spatula and gently fold until the color is uniform.
Step 6 - Fill the pastry and bake
- Pour batter into pastry shell and bake for 50 minutes at 180°C.
- Once done, turn off the oven heat and leave the door ajar. Allow it to cool in the oven for an hour or two.
Plate and serve!
Sprinkle caster sugar and cut into slices. Serve at room temperature or cold.