Crispy Fried Chicken
with Sambal Belacan
Indulge in a beautiful golden brown crispy fried chicken, served with a sambal belacan that will give you a massive kick to your taste buds!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Make sambal belacan
In a blender, add green chili padi and large red chili and blend until smooth. Set aside.Adjust the level of spice by adding or removing the amount of chili padi.
In a pan on medium heat, break up and fry belacan until fragrant.
In the same pan, add the blended chili paste, tamarind paste, calamansi juice, ½ Tbsp salt and 2 Tbsp brown sugar and fry for 5 minutes. Set aside.
Step 2 - Marinate chicken
- In a blender, add lemongrass, ginger, galangal, turmeric root, garlic, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and coriander seeds until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- If mixture is not blending well, use vegetable oil to help you achieve a smooth paste.
- In a mixing bowl, add the chicken, ½ Tbsp salt, ½ Tbsp white pepper, ½ Tbsp brown sugar and 2 Tbsp corn flour and marinade.
- Mix well until chicken is evenly coated. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Add more flavor and save time by marinating the chicken the night before
Step 3 - Deep-fry chicken
- In a pot, heat up enough oil for deep frying.
- Deep-fry the marinated chicken pieces until golden brown.
- Drain fried chicken on a paper towel lined plate.
Plate and serve!
Serve fried chicken with sambal belacan on the side.