Fried Chicken Spring Rolls
A savory Snacks of vegetables and meat wrapped in a thin and crispy skin. This spring roll, also known as lumpia or fried popiah, is popular throughout Southeast Asia.
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Chop vegetables and slice chicken
- Finely chop the spring onion, baby bok choy and carrot. Set aside.
- Mince the chicken using a food processor or knife, and set aside.
Step 2 - Marinate ingredients
- In a bowl, combine the minced chicken, spring onions, water chestnuts and carrot. Add ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp black pepper, ½ tsp five-spice powder and ½ tsp sugar and mix well. Set aside.
Step 3 - Assemble spring rolls
- To assemble a spring roll, fold the wrapper in half, then open it. Add 2 Tbsp of mixed filling along the folded line.
- Roll the bottom edge over the filling, then roll up completely to enclose the filling.
Step 3 - Seal spring rolls
- Seal the edge with egg wash. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
Step 5 - Deep fry spring rolls
- In a deep-frying pan on medium heat half filled with hot oil, deep-fry the spring rolls, a few pieces at a time. This will take 5-6 minutes. Leave to cool and drain on paper towels. Avoid overcrowding the pot when deep-frying, otherwise it might cause a drastic drop in the oil’s temperature, resulting in soggy and oily food.
Step 6 - Prepare dipping sauce
- In a bowl, combine sweet Thai chili, plum sauce, lime juice, chopped coriander leaves, and fish sauce. Set aside. Uncooked spring rolls can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days until ready to cook
Cut spring rolls diagonally, and serve warm with the dipping sauce!