Fried Vietnamese Spring Rolls
Versatile as party food or an appetizer, this crispy and savory Vietnamese-inspired snack paired with its dipping sauce is perfect for both adults and kids!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Toss vegetables in salt
- In a bowl, toss chopped carrot, mang guang, spring onions and 1 Tsp salt until well mixed. Set aside for 20 minutes.
Step 2 - Remove liquid from vegetables
- After 20 minutes, use hands to squeeze out excess liquid and discard the liquid.
- Place vegetable back into mixing bowl.
Step 3 - Add noodles, meats and seasoning
- Add wood ear fungus, cellophane noodles, minced chicken, minced shrimp, ½ Tsp sugar, 2 Tsp soy sauce and ¼ Tbsp black pepper. Mix well and set aside.
Step 4 - Wet rice paper round
- Fill a large bowl with water. Dip 1 rice paper round into water bowl until fully moistened and softened.
- Place rice paper round on a clean flat work surface.
Step 5 - Roll spring rolls
- Place about 1Tbsp filling in center and take the edge closest to you and fold over filling.
- Fold in left and right sides and continue rolling away from you.
- Repeat with remaining rice paper rounds and filling.
Step 6- Deep-fry spring rolls
- In a pot, heat up vegetable oil for deep-frying spring rolls. Once oil is hot, add a few rolls at a time, turning occasionally.
- Fry for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oil and place spring rolls on a paper towel-lined plate.
Step 7 - Make dipping sauce
- In a bowl, add ¼ cup water, 2 Tbsp fish sauce, 1 Tsp rice vinegar, 1 Tbsp lime juice, sliced large red chili, 1 sprig mint leaves, minced garlic and 1 Tbsp brown sugar.
- Mix until sugar dissolves.
Plate and serve!
Place spring rolls onto serving plate and serve hot with dipping sauce on the side.