Garang Asem Bumbung
This mouthwatering Indonesian coconut chicken is stewed in coconut milk and aromatic spices, then steamed in bamboo
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Fry spices
- Heat the oil in a wok or large pan and sauté the 1 tsp ground coriander seeds and ½ tsp turmeric powder for 30 seconds.
- Add thinly sliced red chilies, thinly sliced green chili, galangal, shallots, garlic cloves, torn bay leaves, and continue to sauté for a further 2 minutes over a low heat.
Step 2 - Cook chicken
- Add the chicken and lemongrass and continue to cook while stirring until the chicken is well coated with the spices. To cook faster, slice the chicken into smaller pieces
Step 3 - Simmer with other ingredients
- Add the 1 L thick coconut milk 400 ml water, 2 tsp brown sugar, ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp freshly cracked pepper.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and tender. Remove from heat.
Step 4 - Steam cooked chicken
- Place the cooked chicken in the bamboo steamer and steam for 30 minutes.
Plate and serve!
Pour the Garang Asem Bumbung into a soup bowl and serve with steamed rice.