This popular Chinese-Indian fusion dish was created by a small Chinese community in India and has now become a popular dish in many Indian restaurants across the world!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Make batter and coat cauliflower in batter
- In a large bowl, mix 100 g cornstarch, wheat flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 Tbsp chili sauce and 300 ml water until there are no more lumps.
- Coat cauliflower florets evenly in batter.
Step 2 - Deep-fry cauliflower florets
- In a pot on medium heat, heat up enough vegetable oil for deep-frying.
- Place coated cauliflower florets into the hot oil and deep-fry for 3 to 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove from oil and place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Repeat with remaining cauliflower florets and set aside.
Step 3 - Make sauce
- In a large pan on medium heat, heat up 4 Tbsp vegetable oil.
- Stir-fry garlic, shallots and green chili for 2 to 3 minutes until fragrant.
- Once fragrant, add in ketchup, chili sauce, soy sauce and 100 ml water.
- Mix well and bring to a boil.
Step 4 - Thicken and season sauce
- Mix 1 Tbsp cornstarch with 2 Tbsp water in a cup before pouring into pan.
- Cook for 1 minute until sauce thickens.
- Season sauce with 1 tsp black pepper and stir well.
Step 5- Coat deep-fried cauliflower florets in sauce
- Toss spring onions and deep-fried cauliflower florets into the sauce until evenly coated.
Plate and serve!
Transfer dish into serving plate or dish and serve hot.