Golden Crisp Prawns
with Curry Leaves
Salted egg dishes are fast becoming a mainstay of Singaporean and Malaysian cuisine, and there’s no doubt why with it’s rich and addictive flavor! This dish highlights the flavor of salted egg with deep-fried prawns!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Marinate prawns and prepare to fry
- In a bowl, marinate the prawns with â tsp salt and â tsp white pepper.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks, then combine it with the prawns.
- In another bowl, mix together cornstarch and rice flour.
- Set aside.
Step 2 - Fry prawns
- In a deep pan on medium heat half filled with hot vegetable oil, the dip the egg-coated prawns in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Fry prawns in batches for 1-2 minutes till golden -but do not overcook.
- Drain the prawns on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Set aside.
Step 3 - Cook salted egg sauce
- Pour away all but 1 Tbsp of oil and heat butter.
- Stir-fry garlic, chili and curry leaves on medium for about 30 seconds.
- Add the salted egg yolks and stir till creamy, then put in the prawns and 1 tsp sugar.
Garnish and serve!
To serve, arrange salad of lettuce and tomatoes, then lay the prawns all around the vegetables, reserving a few on the bed of sliced lettuce. Garnish with red chili and fried curry leaves.