Golden Phoenix With Mandarin Sauce
Recipe courtesy of Martin Yan
- Preheat the oven to 200°C for 15 minutes.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl, and place 2 tbs into the chicken cavity.
- Place the whole chicken into a large ziplock bag, pour in the remaining marinade, squeeze out all the air and seal the bag. Massage the marinade evenly over the chicken through the bag.
- Leave to marinade in the fridge for 24 hrs (a minimum of 6 hours).
- Take the chicken out of the fridge, and butterfly it, cleaving out the back bone.
- Place the chicken skin side down on an oiled roasting rack over a roasting tin and leave to dry under a fan for up to 4 hours (or place in the fridge or use a hairdryer).
- Wrap the chicken wing tips and drumstick ends in small pieces of oiled foil.
- Place the chicken in the oven’s centre rack, roasting for 35 minutes. (If it gets too brown, cover the tray with foil.)
- In a bowl, mix together mandarin juice, black pepper, honey, sesame seeds and five spice powder.
- After 35 minutes, brush mandarin juice mixture over the chicken, remove the foil at the wing tips and drumsticks, and roast for a further 8 - 10 minutes.
- To serve, arrange the lettuce, cucumber and sliced mandarin around the chicken on a contrasting serving platter. Sprinkle with green onion, red chili and sesame seeds