Grandma's Salted Chicken
This traditional Chinese chicken dish uses a variety of dried and fresh ingredients to impart a powerful punch of flavor, including a delicious, savory mushroom stuffing.
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Season the chicken
- Rub the chicken inside and out with 1 Tbsp each of salt and pepper then let it stand for 1 to 2 hours.
Step 2 - Stuff the chicken
- Insert tangerine peels, garlic, ginger, large red chilies, ½ cup pickled mustard greens, wood ear mushrooms, Sichuan peppercorns and star anise inside the cavity of the chicken.
Step 3 - Prepare the chicken for steaming
- On a baking tray lined with parchment paper, place the spring onions, shiitake mushrooms, ½ cup pickled mustard greens and coriander. Place the chicken, breast side up, on top of the spring onions and coriander leaves.
Step 4 - Dress chicken and steam
- Combine the rice wine and soy sauce in a bowl and pour over the chicken.
- Cover chicken with another parchment paper and fold in each sides.
- Steam for 45 minutes or until cooked. This chicken dish adds a flavorful twist to your usual chicken rice, otherwise serve with steamed jasmine white rice
Plate and serve!
Serve the chicken as a whole or as halves and serve hot